spirits that speak

9.23.2006

For whom does the bell toll...?

I'm preparing to write yet another bit of observations about my favorite song lately called "Hate Me" by a band called Blue October. But while that's on the way, something just occured to me tonight.

I was at a friend's place celebrating a birthday and it's 9pm. As I'm sitting near a fire and catching up on old times with some people, I hear church bells. I don't know how many that will read this have heard church bells before, but it made me wonder why churches still ring bells. You have to hear these bells. They just kind of make me stop and think. It's beautiful.

The funny thing is that they make me think it's just one way that God could be using to remind us that, no matter what we're doing or how we're living our lives, "I'm still here." Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that they come from a church and they have that "church bell" sound, I don't know. Maybe that has everything to do with it. But I don't want it to be a trite kind of thing when I say that God wants us to know He's still here. I also don't think of it in a happy, "Jesus loves me" sunday school way. The bells sound almost eerie. It's night time, and there's a slightly cool fall breeze. Maybe the actual reason they ring is that the church they are located at wants people in the community to know that they are still there, and it might not be as sincere as I would like to think...

I'm not an optimistic person. Anyone who actually knows me would tell you that. But, when it comes to spirituality and faith, I tend toward the optimistic. Because of that, I am actually kind of hoping, as I hear the bells, that the reason they ring is because the church just wants to remind people about God being here for us. And I'd like to think that it is actually God speaking to my heart when I hear those bells. I don't feel close to him much of the time, as I used to. But I do believe that he doesn't drop loyalty to us as easily as we do to Him (or a faith we might have claimed once that we had).

And for that I am thankful.

4 Comments:

  • I just love church bells ringing. I especially enjoyed that about Europe - you hear it a lot more there.

    As for what happened to you as you heard them ringing, I really think that regardless of the reason they were ringing or the motivation of the church, GOD WAS SPEAKING something into your heart and that's all that matters. Very cool! Tingles one's spine.

    By Blogger Helen Mueller, at 17:22  

  • Thanks so much for the comment - appreciate your optimism. Love ya! But are you sure you don't want to have her over for about a year or 5? Pallllleeeeeeeze?

    By Blogger Helen Mueller, at 17:35  

  • lol. we do love her, and she's free to visit any time, but i'm afraid you're stuck with her for the duration.

    By Blogger johnny m, at 20:54  

  • CRAP!

    By Blogger Helen Mueller, at 22:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home