spirits that speak

12.26.2006

Take the long way around the sea

It's a little late for this, but it's a movie right? Timeless in it's appeal...?

The Nativity Story is pretty much what the title indicates. It begins with Mary, the woman who would be mother to Jesus, and the setting she comes from. We then see Joseph, the carpenter who falls in love with her. That's pretty much all I'm going to say about the story itself, if you're unfamiliar read the book of Matthew.

What I wanted to write about here was how I felt about the movie. I came out of the theater with a feeling about Christmas like I've never felt before. It reminded me of a feeling I've had before though...what was that? Why does this feel so familiar?...Oh, that's right, this is how I felt walking out of having seen The Passion of the Christ. As far as perspective goes, and meaning, this movie did for Christmas for me what Passion did for Easter. It brings things to life. It brings a humanity to the story that I never saw and still leaves the divinity in it.

Cinematically, I really had no complaints. The aspect that I thought was particularly well done was pacing. Not a single scene or aspect of the story felt either rushed or dragging. They address the whole story, beginning to end, and really don't leave out anything important. Since a few friends have seen it, they have pointed out a few things that were left out, but nothing that was crucial.

The cast is fantastic too. All of them seem like they have roots in the Middle East and are familiar with the mindset of those who spent their entire lives there. They are who they claim to be...at least for the 90 minutes the film runs.

What made the film most effective was most likely the spirit with which it was made. The whole thing really feels like there was love in it. There's a sincerity, authenticity, and definitely a reverence.

Like Passion, I will buy this DVD when it comes out and I will watch it once a year when the season comes. It reminds me that I believe in something real and yet very mysterious.

For everyone who likes Christmas (not "the holidays", not "the Season", but Christmas), go see this movie. I don't believe you'll be disappointed.

1 Comments:

  • thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will definitely have to go see it.

    By Blogger Helen Mueller, at 03:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home